Our Story and Contribution
Our Story and Contribution
One day we looked around and thought, "Do we really need to live in garbage?" Turns out, we don't. While we would never advocate people litter, it's nice to know that if users throw our products, they will decompose in quick time.
Plastic and Expanded Polystyrene may NEVER decompose (They say plastics will start decomposing after 500 years but we already got too much of that piling up!). Overflowing landfills can get a break with products that return to dirt and can actually help make the land healthier. We want to replace all Plastic and Expanded Polystyrene with compostable products.
We at CHUK! together with our customers are working towards making the planet better than it currently is, by adopting environmentally-friendly business practices.
- No fossil fuels - All our energy needs are met through renewable energy from our own captive off-grid biomass-based power plant that uses rice husk as fuel.
- Renewable waste - Our products are made from sugarcane waste (bagasse), a renewable source, which is left-over after sugarcane stalks are crushed to extract the juice.
- Compostable - Our products are 100% home compostable and decompose within months.
- Local community sourcing – We source our raw materials locally from nearby farmers and mills, who sell their agriculture waste directly to us.
Compostable tableware made from sugarcane waste has no negative effect on health as it is made using natural and renewable materials. This also makes it suitable for use in microwave ovens to heat food.
Polystyrene contains toxic substances, Styrene and Benzene, suspected to be carcinogens, and neurotoxins that are hazardous to humans. Polystyrene food containers leach Styrene when they come into contact with warm food or liquid causing human contamination and pose a health risk to people. Polystyrene is a principle component of urban litter and marine debris, which affects the habitat of wildlife and also affects their health if it is ingested.
Our product design philosophy is to do justice to the form and function while keeping products fun and playful to enhance the food experience and protect the food. This led to our modular design philosophy.
- Connectedness: Incorporating a beautiful synergy between elements in nature, and between people and products. Mix and match our products to serve multiple different food service requirements.
- Simplicity: We believe in using resources based on need rather than availability. Our minimalist and clean designs reduce raw material usage, and aesthetically match different decors.
- Playful: Combine our products together, place them differently, stack different products on top of each other, and come up with new uses for them to make the food experience more memorable.